"My Collection" by Ben Read

I walk along my garden path, admiring my trophies, triumphing in their fear.  I stroke one particular centaur's head, now cold stone.


Artist: Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio
"Oh, what a lovely statue you make, not the miserable scrap of life you once were," I breathe, though I know he can't hear me.

I stroke the cold skin of my snakes.  They hiss happily.  I turn back the way I came.  My servant awaits nervously.

"Medusa, your dinner's ready."

"Good," I say, without looking at her.  Amalia is a good servant, too good to lose.

She remains standing on the spot.

"Away with you," I hiss.

She jumps and quickly walks down the path back to the house. 

I hear a scuffling noise.  I turn to look at the rat, which immediately turns to stone.  I smile.  Another trophy for my collection.

~ short story inspired by Medusa ~

No comments:

Post a Comment