"Memories to last a lifetime" by Desirae Thosath

I found the strangest thing in my pocket last night.  A penny.  We had no change at my house.  We had used it all to pay off the rent.  As I stared at the penny, my mind traveled back to the house by the lake.  The house with the small dock.  My father would take me fishing on that dock.  One time, I accidentally fell in.  I saw a shiny coin on the bottom of the lake, so I picked it up.  It was a penny.  I showed it to my father when he dragged me out, laughing at my curiosity.
"Why son," he said.  "This is a lucky penny."
I stared in awe at the little miracle in my hands.  "Does it grant wishes?"
He laughed again.  "No, but luck is all you need to grant your own wishes."
Back in my new room, I smiled.  Maybe this will be a happy New Year after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment