"Untitled" by Alicia Judd

Sphere within Sphere, Vatican, Vatican City
I found the strangest thing in my pocket last night.  This is how it went.
It was a cold dreary winter break and all it did was rain.  We had had three feet of snow previously, but the rain washed it away.  So there was nothing to do but sit in the house and mope.  I had been wearing my faded blue jeans.  I stuck my hand in my pocket, and to my surprise, there was a cold metal object.
It was spherical and quite solid.  I pulled it out.  It was obviously very old.  It was made of gold, and seemed tarnished.  On the top, there was a huge diamond.
"Mom!" I called up the stairs.  "Where is the jewelry polish?"
"Upstairs in the bathroom cupboard," came the reply.
I bolted up the stairs and grabbed the bottle.
For the next hour I polished it until I could clearly see my face reflected in it.
On her way to the city hall, I had my mom drop me off at the library.  As soon as she was out of sight, I ran next door to the gold buyers shop.  The owner nearly fainted when I brought out the sphere.  I left the shop pretty satisfied.  I had $10,000 in my pocket.
So perhaps it will be a happy New Year, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment